Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Is my stargazer plant dying?

I bought a plant from costco and it said it was hybrid lilies, and that you can plant them outside after frost, etc etc. and don't over water them. Well we got to where there were 12 blossoms all over it, and then now the leaves are turning yellow from the bottom up and then they dry up and fall off, and there is only one lone blossom at the top, the rest have died. Do I snip off the dead ones? Is it needing sunlight? Have I killed my plant??

Is my stargazer plant dying?
Hi there, don't panic, your Stargazer Plant is actually a Oriental Lillium. This means its a Corm, or bulb of sorts if you like. They grow, flower then die back and go dormant for winter.

If its in a pot, just stop watering it, let it dry out till spring comes around again then start watering, just keeping damp not wet. It will grow back for you. Keep it fertilised while in growth.

If its in the garden and you have a very wet winter, lift the corm keeping it dry and in the dark is best, replant again in spring.

If you do all this you will also be provided with new corms and have more flowers as years go by.
Reply:Glad I could help you. But please take note that once your plant has died back there is no need to water very often, maybe fortnightly but only to moisten it, don't keep it wet.

As far as the other red Lillie's you are talking about I am not sure which ones you mean? Report It


No comments:

Post a Comment