Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Plant question... peace lilly???

My friend has a plant, I think I just found out that it is a peace lily. The leaves look exactly the same as a peace lily. It took a while to figure out what it is because he never saw it bloom. Is there a reason why it wouldn't bloom???



Also some or most of the leaf tips have turned brown from it not being watered in a while. Is it going to be ok???

Plant question... peace lilly???
From the reading I've done Peace Lilly's leaves turn brown at the tips because they like a more moist, semi-tropical environment. If your friend mists the plant each day the brown leaf tips should go away. Or set it on a tray of pebbles with water.



My Peace Lilly is finicky about blooming, too. I don't worry about it. I just enjoy the blooms when they come and appreciate it for its' inherent beauty when it isn't blooming.
Reply:You should remove all the dried leaves and mist the plant regularly during the dry months. If he's had it for a long time and he didn't water it, he probably didn't feed it either. Go to your local gardening store and ask for some appropriate fertilizer. I prefer organic to chemical but either will work. The organic will just take a little longer to start working due to how it works. Once you give it water and food, it will start to look a lot better. Also, they don't need a lot of light so keep it out of direct sunlight and you should start seeing blooms once the plant has recovered from the abuse ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment