Friday, January 27, 2012

Can I plant my calla lilies outside? How do I care for them?

I'm looking for some thorough and informative answers...

I received some purple calla lilies in a pot, and I was wondering if I could plant them in my backyard, or if I should transfer them to a larger pot. The current pot is 4.5 inches across, and the actual plant is about a foot tall and is currently blooming. I live in California, and my backyard is pretty sunny. Can I plant it in my backyard, and if so, where, and how? Or should I just plant them in a bigger pot? Are the lillies annuals or perennials? Will I need to bring them inside in the winter? How much should I water them? Anything else to keep in mind? Thank you!

Can I plant my calla lilies outside? How do I care for them?
Callas love to have wet feet and be in the shade. They can handle some sun, but not much. I don't know where you live in CA, but if you have only a few freezes per winter, they can stay outside with no problems. They may die back, but will return in the spring. White callas are the hardiest and easiest to care for. Purple ones need more shade.
Reply:Calla lilies are a perennials and yes they can be planted outside.

However they cannot take full sun and do best in morning sun.

They must be kept moist also.


No comments:

Post a Comment