Friday, January 6, 2012

Weeping cherry trees, water lillies and ponds?

Alright, to start, I want to say that I am blown away by the weeping sakura tree. Since I had been debating a way to accomodate my love of both cherry blossoms and the weeping willow, it came as a great surprise to find the weeping sakura. So anyways, here was my idea-

Since my front yard has a wide, circular driveway and bare space in the center, I need a way to beautify it! I was thinking maybe taking a circular space with a 30 foot diameter and installing a tree/water feature. In my mind, it plays out as the middle 10 feet containing a weeping cherry tree, surrounded by a circular pool that's 10 feet wide and say, oh, 5 feet deep that's filled with water and some type of water lily or lotus and some fishies.



Does this sound like a plausible plan, or will it ultimately only be a thing of my dreams?

Weeping cherry trees, water lillies and ponds?
It all depends on how much money you want to spend. What you want costs many many big green dollars. Very possibly over $10,000.00

It's almost a given that you have to do the pond out of concrete. Concrete is so brittle and cracks constantly. So the tree grows and the concrete cracks.

On top of all that, leaves and flowers will drop into the water and you will spend much time getting them out of the pond. Don't let anyone lead you to believe that a skimmer will do all the work for you. It will not.

It is possible that you could use a rubber liner that wound around the tree - it cannot be seamed in the field - but that would necessitate a wall of some sort where the two ends met. Liner goes up the wall and is disguised by a waterfall. It's doable, but not cheap. Good luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment