Friday, January 20, 2012

When can I plant calla lily bulbs?

A friend gave me several bulbs from her garden. I live in Alabama, and my yard has morning sun and afternoon shade. I was planning on planting them along the fence line. How deep do they need to go, and how close can I plant them to each other? Do I need to do anything to the bulbs before I plant them? Also, how often will I need to water them after they're planted?

When can I plant calla lily bulbs?
Easily grown in semi-shade. Just plant 2" deep 12" apart. They are usually sold when dormant (autumn/winter). Flower in summer. No need to do anything to the bulb. Mine get regular garden water and are very successful and I'm in a very dry climate. They can take quite wet conditions but need good drainage or they may rot. Proper botanical name is Zantedeschia if you would like to Google some more information. You won't have too many problems they are tougher than they look. Good luck.
Reply:look at that the back of your plant that's the best bet and it's also good to wait until after THE VERY LAST FROST OF WHICH WE ARE STILL HAVING SOME COLD SNAPS HERE IN THE SOUTH, SO MAYBE AFTER THE 20TH OF THIS MONTH WILL BE OK, ALSO CALL YOUR LOCAL GARDEN SHOPS TOO LIKE WALMART AND OTHERS TOO THEY CAN HELP YOU TOO.


No comments:

Post a Comment