Friday, January 6, 2012

Transplanting water lillies?

I have a 140 gal. pond and friend gave us 3 water lilies that she had in her pond and no longer wants but they are HUGE they totally out grew there pots and the roots are al sticking out. How do I repot them? Can I just use dirt and cover with rocks or do I have to use special soil? another friend did the same and used just dirt and there fine but it doesnt sound right. Does anyone know what I can repot them in and what soil to use?????

Transplanting water lillies?
i have water lillies in my pond and i use those baskets from walmart in the pond section. just cut back some roots and put them into the basket and cover with small amount of river rock. this is my method and works very well. my lillies grow very well in these baskets and have already come to the surface of the pond:)
Reply:You repot them just like any other plant. Ideally you'll want a heavy clay soil not normal potting soil. Most garden places will sell this, and you can find stuff packaged for aquatic use. Talk to your local garden shop guy.


No comments:

Post a Comment